UN Model Regulations
Home / Publications /
The UN Model Regulations cover all aspects of transportation necessary to provide international uniformity.
They include a comprehensive criteria-based classification system for substances that pose a significant hazard in transportation.Material properties addressed include:
- Toxicity (oral, dermal and inhalation)
- Corrosivity to human tissue and metal
- Reactivity (e.g. oxidizing materials, self-reactive materials)
- Pyrophoric substances (substances that react with water)
- Infectious substance hazards
- Environmental hazards
They prescribe standards for packagings and multimodal tanks used to transport hazardous materials or dangerous goods. They also include a system of communicating the hazards of substances in transport through hazard communication requirements which cover labeling and marking of packages, placarding of tanks, freight containers and vehicles, and documentation and emergency response information that is required to accompany each shipment.