The June 12, 2021 deadline for all commercial vehicles to be fitted with electronic logging devices (ELD) is quickly approaching. Are you ready?
Transport Canada has indicated that there will be a transition period where inspectors will conduct checks to assist in the education of drivers and carriers in the implementation of the ELD programs. It is necessary for carriers to be prepared for this new regulation to prevent any possible non-compliance issues.
This can be achieved by:
- Ensuring ELDs are installed and certified by a reputable and recognized company prior to June 12, 2021; and
- Ensuring drivers are trained on utilization and trained on what to do when an ELD fails and is not operational.
Back in 2019, Transport Canada was working with the transportation industry to improve commercial vehicle safety due primarily to an accident related to driver fatigue. According to federal statistics, Canada and the United States both have issues regarding accidents from large commercial vehicles on our roadways.
This change in regulations will be impactful in the following ways:
- Canada regulations will be more in line with our American counterpart at the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Americans have had this type of ELD regulations in place since 2017;
- Hopefully lower operator accidents related to fatigue;
- Help carriers in lowering administrative costs, maintaining records and may help costs for fuel and time management – thus improving driver’s quality of life;
- Make it easier for drivers and motor carriers to comply with the regulations.
During the implementation period, companies that make or supply ELD devices should be prepared to meet all regulatory requirements and will also require their devices to be tested and certified.
Overall, these changes will hopefully be impactful to make it easier for carriers to remain compliant with regulations in Canada and the United States and make our roadways far safer for operators and motorists sharing the road.
Click here to learn more about the Commercial Vehicle Drivers Hours of Service Regulations Amendments.
We have all the products, services and training you need to ensure your staff is properly trained and informed.
US 49 CFR Publications
Canadian TDG Publications