In December 2020, ECHA (European Chemicals Agency) published Guidance on the compilation of Safety Data Sheets, Version 4.0.
In Europe, Safety Data Sheets are compiled in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006 (REACH). The current standard 2015/830 was amended to 2020/878. In accordance with Article 2 of Regulation (EU) 2020/878, Safety Data Sheets completed using amendment 2015/830 can continue to be used until December 2022. However, new or amended Safety Data Sheets provided after January 2021 must be provided in the current format, 2020/878.
In other words, all SDS must be updated by December 2022.
In addition to updating the SDS to meet the GHS Purple book (Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals), Version 7, the SDS 2020/878 will include the following:
- Introduction of the concept “nanoform”
- The Unique Formula Identifier (UFI)
- Addition of SCL (Specific concentration limit), ATE (Acute toxicity calculation), and M-Factor (Multiplication factor) in Section 3
- Environmental exposure controls
- Flammability in section 9, now applies to gases, liquids, and solids
- Particle characteristics
- Introduction of Endocrine disrupting properties in several sections
Two years may seem like a long time, but as the saying goes, “time flies,” so don’t delay, contact ICC today to discuss your options for updating your current safety data sheets.
We have all the products, services and training you need to ensure your staff is properly trained and informed.
Safety Data Sheet (SDS) Services
OSHA / WHMIS / GHS Training Courses