It’s now 2021, and there is a new IATA DGR 62nd Edition and Addendum. If shipping COVID-19 vaccines, lithium batteries, radioactive materials, and/or explosives, take note as changes are now in effect. We recommend to anyone who is currently using these regulations to read the updated full addendum to ensure full compliance. We also recommend printing the 16-page document and adding it to their copy of the current regulations.
Here is a brief summary of the new Addendum:
- Amended to section 2.8.2 State Variations, if you import any class 1 explosive into Canada, please look at the new CAG-13
- Amendments and deletions to many operator variations in Section 2.8.4 and most notably FedEx and Air France
- Section 2 had to do some renumbering of the subsections due to the addition of
“188.8.131.52 Hygiene Products Alcohol-based hand sanitizers and alcohol-based cleaning products carried aboard an aircraft by the operator for use on the aircraft during the flight or series of flights for the purposes for passenger and crew hygiene.”
- Section 3 addition to 184.108.40.206 Genetically Modified Micro-Organisms (GMMOs) or Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) of
“220.127.116.11.5 COVID-19 vaccines containing GMOs or GMMOs, including those in clinical trials, are not subject to these Regulations.”
- Section 4 added additional special provisions to both lithium ion and metal batteries contained in or packed with equipment UN3481 and UN3491
- The following special provisions have been revised; A46, A99, and A220 is a new special provision that is important if shipping COVID-19 vaccines
“A220 Packages containing COVID-19 vaccines accompanied by data loggers and/or cargo tracking devices containing lithium batteries are not subject to the marking and documentation requirements of Section II of Packing Instruction 967 or 970, as applicable.”
- Section 6 has small updates to subsections 18.104.22.168
- Section 8 documentation mixed shipments airway bill 8.2.2 changed the word from attached to associated
“Dangerous Goods as per attached associated Shipper’s Declaration” or “Dangerous Goods as per attached associated DGD.”
- Section 10 Radioactive 10.0.2.6 updated the date from 2008 to 2018
- Appendix B.2.2.4 added additional explanation of the codes for lithium batteries RBI, RBM, RLI, RLM
- Updates to contact information in Appendix D.1, D.2 and F.3 for Germany, the United States, and Swissport Cargo Services Belgium
I hope this summary will help you and your team maintain an outstanding level of compliance with regulations.
Do you have any questions about shipping by air? Need help complying with any of the new requirements? Contact us here and ask for one of our Regulatory Experts. We can help you complete the process safely and efficiently.
Click here to view the Addendum to the 62nd Edition that has been issued. This will remain effective until 31 December 2021.
We have all the products, services and training you need to ensure your staff is properly trained and informed.
Shipping by Air Declaration Forms
Shipping by Air Posters & Charts