Skip to main content

Regulatory Helpdesk

Did you know that as a customer of ICC, you can call or email us with your regulatory questions?

Training provides the foundation for transporting hazardous materials/dangerous goods by ground, air, and ocean, but when it comes down to getting it done, it can be intimidating.

Whether you are brand new to shipping hazardous materials/dangerous goods, or a seasoned veteran, having ICC as a resource to confirm details, bounce thoughts or simply ask a question is priceless.

Below are a few examples of questions we have received in the last few months.

Q. I have a full container of lithium-ion batteries being shipped by ocean; do I need a UN number on my placard?

A. According to the IMDG (International Maritime Dangerous Goods) regulations, if you have > 4,000 kg in shipment, with one UN number only, and no other DG in the CTU (Cargo Transport Unit) then a UN number should be used.

Q. I am shipping a lithium-ion battery with a circuit board and cable. Can I ship it as packed with equipment?

A. I do not believe that a cable and circuit board would be considered packed with equipment. The better option would be as a stand-alone battery UN3480.

Q. Why would someone ship a Paint Pen Limited Quantity when they could use the flammable exemption since the flash point is 42 °C? .

A. Neither is wrong, just more of a preference based on how companies are trained and their knowledge of the regulations. Ship it how it feels comfortable.

Q. Is a shipping document required when shipping a package Limited Quantity in Canada?

A. No per TDGR (Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations) 1.17, a shipping document is not required.

Q. Customer called regarding shipping. 1,300 lbs. of Class 3 Flammable liquid, 210 lbs. of Division 6.1 PG III, and 50 lbs. of Corrosive Class 8. (These are all non-Bulk packages.) Do I just need the Class 3 FLAMMABLE Placard within the US?. Do I just need the Class 3 FLAMMABLE Placard within the US?

A. In the USA, if the hazard class appears on Table 2, you require a placard when the gross aggregate weight is 1001 lbs or more. Since you have 3 hazard classes, you must now placard for all 3 classes, or you may use the Dangerous placard.

Q. Do I need a safety data sheet (SDS) for my hand lotion that I am selling to consumers?

A. No, under both WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System) and OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration), products intended for consumers do not require an SDS. However, it has become common practice to provide one.

As you can see, our customers keep our Regulatory Experts busy with a range of questions. We welcome the opportunity to help you too. Give us a call at 855.734.5469 or send us an email, we’re happy to help.. The helpdesk is available Monday-Friday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm EST.


Stay up to date and sign up for our newsletter!  

We have all the products, services and training you need to ensure your staff is properly trained and informed. 

49 CFR Publications Worded Labels

Shipping Hazardous Materials by Ground (49 CFR) - Virtual Live 2 Day TrainingShipping Hazardous Materials
by Ground


Karrie Ishmael, CDGP

Karrie Ishmael has been with ICC since 1988. She has contributed to ICC's growth in various capacities, including customer service, sales, and marketing. In her current role as ICC's Senior Regulatory Expert and SDS author, Karrie conducts hazardous materials training classes in 49 CFR, IATA, IMDG, TDG along with OSHA and WHMIS hazard communication courses. When not training, she writes safety data sheets for customers to comply with North American and European requirements. She actively participates in many associations, including DGAC, COSTHA and is the former chair of SCHC’s OSHA Alliance Committee.

Welcome to ICC

Which site would you prefer?